March 31, 2014
March 31, 2014
1. Somehow just seeing this for the first time: Star Wars Kid. This dude has some sweet skillz.
2. Watch this video about the Elisha Foundation right here in Bend, OR. An incredible organization to help people with disability around the world. In this case, Eli hiked to the base of Mount Everest finding much new strength within himself and feeding an even greater strength to those he was with.
3. Buy yourself flowers. And 29 other things to make it a better day.
5. April Fools Day is tomorrow! Last year we made Edible Picky Wings! What are you doing to prank your people?
8.What does your favorite running trail say about you? I could definitely classify people into each of these categories!
9. Wowzer! Watch the preview for Desert Runners here. 1,000km across the world's most treacherous terrain. This movie documents the desert runners conquering the most difficult desert ultra-marathon on earth.
10. Neature Walk on youtube. NEVER. GETS. OLD.
March 28, 2014
It's that time of week again... Friday! Which means it's time for Picky Pictures. I don't know about you but these people make me want to get out and live! It's been pretty stormy here in Bend this week (must be part of the 65 days withOUT sunshine ;). Thus we are getting inspired from the Picky Club members and adventure enthusiasts all around. Be sure to tag your photos with #pickylife so we can consider your pictures as well in weeks to come. Cheers mates!
March 26, 2014
The sun is out. It's hot; sweltering. It's even hotter against the sharp rocks with the sun pounding down and reflecting off the surface. Excited weekenders traipse through the valleys and attempt the hikes and climbs; one of the sharper routes boasts the daunting the name of 'Misery Ridge Trail.' I have arrived at Smith Rock State Park.
Feeling very weary and human, I had driven out to the park with the intention of finding peace, solitude, and recluse. However, once I emerged from the car, those intentions did a flip turn and I was immediately filled with a rush of joy, excitement and adventure. All the locals had been telling me to get out to Smith Rock for months, and almost instantly I understood why. This place was incredibly beautiful and evoked a bit of mystery that allowed my mind to wander to what lay beyond all the rocks or in between the valleys.
The first steps were slow. I creeped down a steep slope, stopping every five seconds to take a picture. Could a picture even capture this? Probably not. I put my iPhone away and allowed my pace to increase until I was running. If Smith Rock was a drug, I was hooked. The park reeled me in as I went deeper and deeper into the looming rocks. The extra layers were quickly shed as I escaped the world. Rock climbers scaled the vertical ascents with so much skill they appeared as ants crawling up a brick wall.
I kept going. My heart was pounding quickly inside my chest but seemed to match the rhythm of my stride and breath, a symphony of sound. I was by no means going quickly but with a clear purpose and direction. When you are surrounded by something so majestic, it's easy to believe your purpose and answers will be found somewhere deep in the middle of that park. When I could run no longer, it was easy to give in to the landscape. Slowing to a hike allowed me to take in all the beauty and direct the focus to all the inspiring feats and shenanigans that were being taken on by people in every direction. I flipped my Picky Bars trucker hat around backwards simply to feel like I owned the place. It worked! I was on top of the world.
A group of hikers laughed at me. My lack of preparation was obvious. They were carried by the finest hiking boots and didn't skip a beat when it came to experience. Gels, walking sticks, trail mix, and camelbacks. But I am full of youth and I have a Picky Bar back in the car! I should be fine for at least a couple hours. I laughed back. In my mind all the fancy decorated gear and mungo jungo prevented one from finding the truest freedom in those rocks. There were people very different from myself with different reasons and goals in visiting the park but we are all alive out here, sharing life; sharing something. Getting lost in the park to find similar truths about simplicity and meaning. And we all carry on.
The hours passed as people floated in and out of the park. Some with kids and some over 80. Good on 'em. And they were all out there living the Picky Life and being pretty darn awesome. I started to get cold and visualize the Lauren's Mega Nuts bar that I had left on my dash when I first arrived at the park and was in such a scurry to escape the vehicle. The last 15 minutes seemed like an hour as I nearly crawled back to the car in exhaustion. I tore through my Picky Bar needing that 4:1 ratio to carry me over until I arrived at home. With a Picky Bar in my stomach and Dixie Chicks on the radio it was going to be a good ride back. Today was winning. Maybe not every day would be a trailblazing adventure, but today was. And it ROCKED.
March 24, 2014
Here are our handpicked 'Picky picks' for the week o'er here at Picky Bars.
1. Swants . Westknits, you are genius, why didn't this happen earlier? You must watch the video at the end.
2. Field Notes Films. A brand we have been obsessing over makes some pretty rad mini movies. Watch em all!
3. Kara Goucher signs with Oiselle. How refreshing to know that relationships and people are more valued than money. Phewf Dizzle!
4. Alan Webb snatches up a Twitter handle. Finally dude, thank you!
5.March Madness in the house people! How are your teams doing?
6. Foster the People made new musixx. And we have been jamming out to it all week long. ALL. WEEK. LONG.
7. So, we know hiking in Bend rawks. How do we go about properly night hiking? Headlamps? Beer?
(photo from 'The Clymb')
8. Exercise makes you smarter. Boom Chicka Ow Ow.
9. This London ultra runner is going to carry a 100 pound fridge for 100 miles. Is this real life?
10. Tonx coffee is in DA OFFICE. Subscription fresh roasted coffee service with detailed notes about where it came from? Yes sir.
March 21, 2014
March 19, 2014
March 18, 2014
This mighty fine weather is changin' tune and we are pretty happy about it. Here are the 'Picky Picks' for the last week of winter in 2014.
1. Project Yosemite. If you haven't watched this video, you need to. It's officially time to be inspired to start planning summer camping and road trips.
2.Picky peeps love to get their run, hike, and climb on at Smith Rock just outside of Bend. Where is your local 'go-to' for natural inspiration and recluse?
3. Stuck in a conversation with a pretentious know-it-all? Whip out these words to prove your smarts and sophistication. Ex. John Edgar the third has beleaguered and exacerbated this situation to the point of becoming a total anathema.
4. Okay, it's official. We are in love with Jasyoga. Did you see this post on yoga poses to ease digestion? They are really wonderful AND effective.
5. Bend, OR ya'alls. The city you'll love to hate.
6. Uh oh. This new app from Jawbone allows you to track your caffeine uptake. Can be sorta scurry!
7. Have you read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. A journey of one young women's quest to hike the PCT with zero experience. Cheryl Strayed speaks in Bend this Sunday at 4pm at Deschutes Public Library. The book inspired us and we recommend it to you!
8. Tips & Jokes for 1st time triathletes. Thank you JT. (Jesse Thomas, the more well-known version of 'JT').
9. IMPORTANT: Craft beers to enjoy on St. Patrick's Day
10. Wait, did I mention we love Jasyoga? Patrick is doing a #hitreset in the office.
March 14, 2014
Picky Picks blog has been up and running for a bit of time now featuring our favorite things from the office and quirky songs and videos to pick up your week.
The excitment and inspiration started stirring and 'Picky Pictures' is born. Here it is! Our favorite instagram pics from the week that vibrantly display the Picky Life in all different aspects all over the country. Stay tuned for more pictures each Friday! Instagram @pickybars for special consideration :-D.
Enjoy the beautifully weathered weekend!
March 13, 2014